Empire state of mind...

In New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of,

Theres nothing you can’t do, now you’re in New York,
These streets will make you feel brand new,
Big lights will inspire you, lets hear it for New York
New York, New York

Song Jay Z

 
 



I have always loved the big city.  As a girl I would hop on a bus with my girlfriend and we would go into Toronto for the day. I would get giddy as the bus wound its way toward downtown along the Gardiner.  We would  pass run down row houses, where I imagined Booky lived,  The Boulevard Club and the CNE.  Our moms would tell us to head straight across from the bus station to the Eaton Centre where we were supposed to stay the day until we returned home later that afternoon.   Unbeknownst to our parents, we would head for the subway and travel north to Bloor Street.  We would wander around Yorkville, picking out our RL buttondowns or Beaver Canoe sweatshirts that we (more like I) had saved months for.  I loved the adventure, the grittiness of the subway, the historical buildings, the old bus station. 

In the same way I have been drawn to NYC but it has always eluded me.  Kevin has travelled there at least 5 times in the past two years on business and each time I hope to join him...but no.

I have a very special husband.  He is funny and brilliant and overwhelmingly generous in spirit.  He doesn't cut the grass, or take out the garbage, or shovel the driveway.  There isn't always gas in the car when I get in it in the morning and goodness knows I am the one cleaning the snow off its roof.  Not that he wants me to do these things either...he doesn't...and if we had all the money in the world I know he would pay someone else to do them.  If I didn't do it...it just wouldn't get done...at least not for a long time.  But he loves me and that I am sure.  And its not because he took me to a swank hotel in NYC...which he did do on New Years Day.  It was in the way he looked at me as I discovered New York, how happy I was to be there with him, how happy he was to make me happy.  And that he did.




More of our fabulous trip to come...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just found your blog. Love it so far!

    That last little bit about your husband describes mine to a t. He took em to NYC two years ago and didn't really enjoy the city much but just watched me in my child-like wonder. He proposed there. That city is truly magical.

    Your house is gorgeous. Can't wait to see more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im loving that photo on the subway stairs. I just might have to steal that one day.

    ReplyDelete