Recycled Bedroom

This morning I woke up and the sun was streaming into the house.  It made me feel happy.  But that's because I spent time yesterday afternoon dusting, cleaning and vacuuming because yesterday morning the sun was shining happy on all the dust and I was NOT.

I feel compelled to say that my "decorating" budget has been VERY limited in the last couple of years due to the fact that I work part time and my income is directly related to the performance of the Dow Jones and TSX....which has been,shall we say, less than stellar.  It just means I decorate with the things I have, the things I have been generously given, the things I make myself or the occasional thrift shop or discount purchase.

As I previously mentioned here, I am working on updating my bedroom.  Here is the progress so far...

The mattress was a gift (thank you darling).  At this point I can really only justify purchasing the sheets as our Queen ones just wouldn't fit...so I got a gazillion thread count Egyption cotton sheets from Homesense, on sale, for a steal.  The duvet as well.  I am on the lookout for a duvet cover and bedskirt when the price is right...

When we got the king, I really didn't think we would be able to fit a table on either side...until I tried this little marble top I found at the Salvation Army for $15.00.  The standing lamp I picked up antiquing about 10 years ago...


I was pleased that this dresser still fit.  It was my son's "changing table" when he was a baby.  I bought it at an antique store and my mother-in-law generously had it refinished as a gift.  I LOVE it.  The glass lamp was also a gift from said mother-in-law (it really helps when you have a super duper mother-in-law with a good eye, and great taste who knows what you like!). Thanks mom! 


 
On the other side of the room is another piece I had made when I was pregnant with my first.  I was inspired by this from Martha Stewart Baby ...

I had installed a little bar on the top portion of this armoire to hang all her little pretty things but I made sure to keep the removable shelves as I knew down the road it would serve a new purpose. It was all that I needed for her at the time.  Yes, my principle bedroom is now furnished using cast off baby furniture!  This armoire holds clothes and a small TV.


I want to update the windows.  Those curtains are IKEA, from the AS IS section.  I'll probably re-purpose them as a table cloth...because I'm missing one...because it became a slipcover for my chair...



And because I moved this table and lamp above to our bedroom, I replaced it with these...



Guess where this little table was originally? That's right...the nursery!

7 comments:

  1. Love this concept of using things you already have!! Everything looks great, you are very creative :)

    BTW, thanks for your lovely comment on my recent post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you decorate!! Want to come and do my house? I'm in need of a change, ha ha! I found your blog through a friend and I just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is how i decorate too - constantly repurposing :) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your little updates. I really enjoy seeing all your dark woodwork. We have it all over our house and that is truly what made me fall in love with the house but sometimes when I view other blogs and look in magazines I long for that white woodwork/molding look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you mix the old with the new. Glad to have discovered yet another great Canadian blog. I have added you to my Canadian blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your changing table turned dresser. And I also like that little white table you moved next to your chair. Oh and the glass lamp, love that too! :)

    I have been working on our master bedroom but still haven't come across any lamps yet and I still want to get new window treatments. I hate having rooms have decorated but I would rather try to repurpose thrift store items or make things myself than buy everything brand new.

    Thanks for sharing your updated space!

    ReplyDelete