Summer's end and some horses

Treats on the beach the last week of summer
I just rolled out from under my sleeping son's arm and tip toed out of his bedroom.

I managed tonight to NOT fall asleep curled up in his bed.

I mustn't be as tired as I feel.

Surprisingly this morning I was not the first one up.  I let myself sleep in and I woke up to the sounds of Kevin and Court talking in Court's room. It was sweet and made me smile into my sheets.  It was the first morning that Court didn't wake up in our bed in at least a week and I think Kevin must have missed him.

Just last week Court busied himself with something...

asking me for the tape...

and an envelope.

I then found this in the mailbox...



I don't even remember what he wrapped up...

it might have been a sword...

or a Nerf gun.

It doesn't matter.

It's the thought that counts.

~

Every summer Charlotte and I have a special day...

just the two of us.

I was just her age when I went away to horse camp for the first time and started riding...


so that's what we did.

I was a little nervous.

It has been a long time since I've been on a horse.

And I didn't know if I trusted the horse...to look after my most precious girl.

But then I found out her horse was named Scout...


and I knew that all would be OK.

You see To Kill a Mockingbird was my favourite book growing up...

and it just may be my favourite book of all time.

Here was my ride...

don't ask me what his name was. 

I was so scared. He was a pretty big horse.  The owner assured me I'd feel fine once we got going and she was right.

I don't know if this is a good thing however as Charlotte and I both drove home dreaming of a horse farm.

6 comments:

  1. beautiful horses! and i love the phrase "made me smile into my sheets"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day - those photos are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet day!

    I'd be scared to ride a horse. I'm a big ol' chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...I love horses!

    The mailbox photo is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect gift for Dad and a perfect day for you and your sweet, sweet girl. I always wanted a horse growing up but I have not been riding in years. Sounds like the perfect fall day ~ I will have to plan something! Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a sweet boy. I am sure Charlotte loved your outing.

    ReplyDelete