My hood...

Ugh.

Yesterday was a rough one.

I think the worst part of it was the fact that I just kept trying to save it...

to make it into a good day.

I should have just let myself fall into the roughness and wallow around in it.

At one point last night Court was halfway down our long driveway...crying and running away (thank you Ramona and Beezus).

Every time we would pretend to walk towards the house he would get scared and start coming back up the driveway...

and then we would want to make sure we could see him so we would walk toward the driveway....

and he would see us and start back down again.

This went on for a little while.

Finally he just came running to me and I picked him up.  He was so heavy and I realized he isn't such a little guy any...

more. Sigh.

~

One year ago, I had recently returned from a lovely little jaunt to New York City.

somewhere on Waverly

Soho

a playground somewhere in the West Village...I think
 And it seemed everywhere I looked...I loved.  The storefronts...the restaurants...the streets.

On Saturday I ran out of the house and decided to find a little New York in my own backyard.  I ventured out to a neighbourhood nearby that I had read about and wanted to check out. 




The street was tree lined...

with pretty lamp posts.

There was a coffee shop...


with yummy carrot cupcakes. 

Where I sat and nibbled...

and wrote...

and drank delicious hot coffee.



It was my little hour getaway.

And it was sweet.

10 comments:

  1. I just wrote a post on Acclamation across the street from that Coffee House. Just wish I had your awesome writing style.

    Keep showing how cool parts of Hamilton really are to those who haven't given the city a real chance yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the snippets you have shown us of the light, the tablebase, the cupcake, the mitts - they all evoke a whole that is warm and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go to NYC!! Maybe one day : )

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. you and me both darling, bad day yesterday, I vowed today would be better, and it is! great photos and it is always nice to read about someone who loves where they live!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, I'm glad you could find a little inspiration in your own backyard! I love that ceiling medallion!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too was in NYC in 2009 and fell in love with everything. I have been wanting to do the same thing here ~ taking the time to venture downtown with my camera. Thanks for the inspiration Tara ~ you make me want to do it even more now....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hood looks fab! Glad you were able to get away for an hour! We loved Ramona and Beezus BTW {and my kids are in their teens}, too bad yours decided to do a Ramona and run away down the drive:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a {lovely} hour!
    Shannon
    {aka}|design

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your spirit, the determination to find beauty and pleasure in daily life, even in a city less glam than NYC. (And a lot less spendy! I moved from Toronto to NY in 1989.)

    ReplyDelete