the day is finally here

We're done.

We finished late Wednesday night, in fact it was more early Thursday morning, Kevin and I waxing and buffing the wood floors that had taken a beating.

While the kids sat fireside at camp we treated ourselves Thursday night with a cold glass of Sauvingon Blanc (me) and a vodka tonic (him) and a bowl of poutine with two forks (both).

What we have accomplished:
-replaced all knob and tube wiring in our house
-patched and repaired all walls and ceiling damaged by above
-replaced floor and fixtures in our powder room
-knocked down wall in kitchen
-replaced floor in mudroom and kitchen
-new cupboard in kitchen where wall was 
-moved the light fixture that was in our mudroom to the powder room
-moved the chandelier that used to hang in the powder room to the dining room
-attempted to do all of this on a very limited budget

Here is a reminder of how the kitchen looked before...


And here it is today...











All the new furniture (kitchen table & chairs, pink couch, pink chair, round mirror) was generously gifted to us by Kevin's grandfather who is moving into some swanky new digs.  I love them and the fact that they were used and loved by family makes them extra special.  

Kevin and I are thinking modern for a coffee table and perhaps rug in the living area but that will have to wait. I also would have loved to have laid the new kitchen tiles brick like but simply couldn't justify the cost.

I'm off to enjoy a bit of my summer.  I'm finishing at my present office in one week and will immediately start at a new one.  There will be no room for a long summer holiday this year...but I promise not to whine...I have done enough of that.  I will simply enjoy all of the free time that I do have, and make the most of it...starting now. 

17 comments:

  1. WOW! GOOD JOBBIE!!! It looks amazing!!! You really opened up the space!!

    The black floors (slate?) make a huge difference! Simple and clean!

    and you can still enjoy the rest of summer - reno free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! I love that the new cabinet is on both sides of the room and the floors are fabulous. That was one huge list of things completed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks great Tara! Love the black cabinets and how open it looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara, i love what you guys have done!! Such a gorgeous job - you must be so proud! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! It all looks so incredible... I think you may be living in my dream home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your house is beautiful! enjoy :) can't wait til the stage my floors are refinished like that

    ReplyDelete
  7. enjoy it, enjoy it, enjoy it...
    because it is AUGUST already
    and wow
    time does seem to fly by

    I can't wait to visit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your house just evokes a feeling of calm and relaxation. It is just gorgeous, you have wonderful style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just lovely!!! The counters are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks fantastic Tara ~ the light at the end of the tunnel arrived and it was not a train!! That my girl ~ is a good thing. Make the most of August in your completed home and good luck in your new job. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really looks lovely. The pass-through gives such a feeling of openness, and I really like the touches of black.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah! well done. Looks absolutely beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW.... Tara, everything looks absolutely beautiful. Perfect. I know that everyone who sees it will LOVE it :):) I hope your dreams come true for your new home, and for your new daytime spot, also. May this be the chapter where everything that's good begins to happen :):) Love & hugs,
    ~i xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your kitchen looks great! Love the black cabinetry, and are those glass knobs on the doors? I'd say the hardwood flooring in your dining room was well worth the waxing and buffing, even if it didn't seem like it when you were in the middle of doing the work! And the pre-loved family furniture is the perfect addition to your home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeousness! you can see all of the blood, sweat, and tears that went into it and it turned out amazing! congratulations. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE IT! The gifted furniture is fantastic! Looks amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You must be enjoying it all so much! These photos are so amazing-out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.