Hot and sweet


It has been so hot. There was a respite a couple of days ago but then this morning the freshness is gone. Oh how I love fresh as opposed to muggy. Fresh will hit you directly in the face while muggy just envelopes you. Thank goodness for the farmer's market and the barbeque and Kevin behind it as cooking in the kitchen is the last thing I want to do at the end of the day. Baking is accomplished first thing in the morning or late in the evening and it was about ten o'clock at night that I made a coffee cake of sorts with the last of the rhubarb.  Sprinkled with brown sugar and cinnamon, it will convert almost any rhubarb hater as I've witnessed first hand.



This season's raspberry jam is almost gone even though Court and I picked almost twice the usual number of berries. It has been spread on bread and toast and is sometimes accompanied by peanut butter. It's a quick lunch that requires no cooking (see above) and that the kids can help themselves to. I come home at the end of my work day to sticky knives in the sink and crumbs on the counter.


We keep tucking the odd flower from the garden or Queen Anne's Lace from a walk into a mason jar on the table. It also holds remnants of a bouquet gifted to me by a friend's daughter.  It reminds me of them and the good times we have shared this summer. I know there will be more to come.


6 comments:

  1. I love the new look! As for fruit, my kids are going through this season's strawberries that are in the freezer! But I never did get around to making raspberry jam, we ate all the berries so fast!

    Enjoy the heat, cause we all know that winter is not that far away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not as hot here but we have been having our share of humid days. I bought fresh carrots and beans at the market last week-end and the carrot were just so so sweet ~ love them ~ love this time of year ~ now for rain ~ we need some rain....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Queen Anne's lace...something we didn't have in Southern California, but today driving from Connecticut to Vassar College it was all along the parkways and I kept commenting on how beautiful it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm happy you have left a note as I have now discovered your lovely blog!

      Delete
  5. love this post. i'm going to be making blackberry jam when the wild berries are ready. so yum!

    ReplyDelete